- Click here to meet all our 2019 Avon Democratic municipal candidates.
- Please donate to help elect our 2019 Municipal Slate.
Charles Harvell is retired after a 36-year career as a CPA including Managing Partner with Ernst & Young in Hartford. He has served in leadership positions on the boards of the MetroHartford Alliance, our state’s leading business development and job creation organization, and the Greater Hartford Arts Council. An Avon resident for 16 years, Charles and his wife Mary have four daughters – the youngest who graduated from Avon High School and the University of Connecticut – and seven granddaughters.
Why I’m Running
I believe Avon is a wonderful place. With better direction, we will make it even a better town. My philosophy: focus on what you are and what you can do to make a contribution.
All things at the ground level determine things at the top level. This applies to local town government in relation to state and national governments.
As your Town Councilman, I will work to:
- Build community through building up neighborhoods. This includes open and continuous communication to all citizens and supporting and organizing neighborhood organizations throughout town.
- Create a new long term financial plan, with particular and increased attention on capital expenditures.
- Improve traffic planning and coordination with future plans that leverage Connecticut transit initiatives.
- Generate innovative educational opportunities and civic engagement for students who would like to do more.
- Lead initiative to engage all town departments in the promotion of Avon as a great place to live, do business, visit, and work.
- Promote protection and smart use of open spaces and the recreational use of the Farmington River.
- Improve the town’s recycling program and initiate other innovative ways to reduce household waste.
- Advocate for energy conservation through town-sponsored initiatives including a renewed focus on solar energy.